Based in Prague, Czech Republic
11th September 2014
The Keep, an old-school dungeon crawler with real-time combat for Nintendo 3DS(TM).Never say never to RPG games
The idea behind The Keep is very simple, to bring the essence and dark atmosphere of RPGs from the past to a new platform with touch screen based controls for newcomers and fans of the genre alike.
In The Keep you will embark on a quest to explore caves and mines filled with monsters to slain and puzzles to solve underneath and surrounding tower of evil sorcerer. It won’t be easy, you will die. A lot!
The Keep has been in development for more than 24 months and there is a simple reason for it. Cinemax are trying to pour all their love for old-school games into the game and proving themselves that they were wrong saying after the release of the Inquisitor: “We will never ever make a RPG game ever again!”Storyline
Many have been mesmerized by the blue depths of the Crystals. Those who tried to control them became their slaves. The weak were killed and the strong broken. With ancient knowledge of magic rediscovered old terrors found their way into the Realm and a new nefarious wizard came into being.
While the Council hides behind thick stone walls and ignores the Darkness sweeping across the Realm a young warrior comes to face the wizard. He is certainly not the first one to do so ...
Enter the Keep as an unsung hero on a quest to destroy the nefarious wizard Watrys. Explore the subterranean depths in this first-person dungeon crawler featuring real-time combat, a unique rune magic system, exploration, and puzzle solving. This game will awaken memories of what made old-school RPG dungeons so much fun to play while you fight, hunt for hidden treasures, and avoid deadly traps. Get to know your enemies, find their weaknesses, and crush them. Experiment with magic to discover powerful spells. Only the strongest will survive.
To defeat the seemingly undefeatable Watrys, you will need to level up your character and find powerful armor and weapons. The game controls were designed with a stylus in mind so mastering both sword and magic is a fun and intuitive experience.
Do you have what it takes to stand against such evil? Then don’t procrastinate and enter. The Keep awaits you ...
- An old-school first-person dungeon crawler with a modern twist.
- Exploring and puzzle solving—the caves and dungeons are full of surprises. There will be deadly traps, elaborate mechanisms guarding secret passages, trapdoors and treasures with powerful weapons and supplies.
- Real-time combat—a battle against enemies with a gesture based combat, but swiping the stylus horizontally or diagonally is not enough. Defeating enemies means that you have to break their defences hitting the upper or lower body or focusing on their head. Every enemy requires different strategy and every weapon class offers unique combos.
- Rune magic—utilising touch screen you can rearrange runes on a 5×4 board and then chain them together to cast powerful elemental magic (Fire, Ice or Lightning) with the stylus. Runes are scarce but there are a lot of spells, so be careful to pick the right combinations.
- 3 difficulty. The Keep will offer something for newbies in the genre, seasoned adventurers and for those who like to tackle with proper challenge—every difficulty level will have a Permadeath option.
- A save anywhere option
- Captivating soundtrack and stereoscopic 3D graphics
- English voiceovers with localized in-game text to six languages - US (English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese), EU (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian)
The Keep – Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Press Release, 5th of September 2014
The Keep - release dates, trailer and screenshots released. Download the press release in PDF here: thekeep-game.com.
Press Release, 2nd of June 2014
Enter The Keep - first gameplay footage and screenshots released. Download the press release in PDF here: thekeep-game.com.
Press Release, 24th of February 2014
Old-school dungeon The Keep coming to Nintendo 3DS(TM) Never say never to RPG games. Download the press release in PDF here: thekeep-game.com.
Cinemax, independent studio based in Prague with track record of 40 titles published on various platforms including Steam, iOS and Nintendo e-shop.
More information on CINEMAX, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Keep Credits
Martin Linda, Karel Samonil, Ales Ulm, Jaroslav Kulic, Martin Vocet, Marek Nepozitek, Lukas Macura, Martin Kovar, Michael Pecka
Prisoners of Watrys (Dev Team)
Alex Carrington, Alex D Attoma, Colin Solman, Gavin Turnbull, Henry Sargeant, Jasper Koch
Michael Waaler, Friedrich Klemme, Jeremiah Costello, Udo Baumhögger
Translation and English Voice Recordings
Nintendo 3DS is trademark of Nintendo. © 2011 Nintendo.